suggestions for preparation
RESOURCES FOR EXAM PREPARATION
The following texts are recommended by ABOM as possible resources for exam preparation. The list below is not exclusive as other texts not listed may also prove useful for the purpose of preparing for the obesity medicine certification exam. By listing the texts below, ABOM does not imply that all texts should be consulted in preparation for the exam. In addition, familiarity with any or all of these texts does not guarantee successful completion of the exam.
1. ABOM Test Content Outline
The examination is composed of four 60-minute test blocks, each with 50 items, designed to assess the knowledge base and the cognitive and deductive skills of candidates. The Test Content Outline provides a listing of all the subject areas that may be covered on the exam. Click here to view the Test Content Outline.
2. Certification Exam Review Courses
The organizations below offer review courses they have created independently based on the ABOM test content outline. To learn more about these courses, contact each organization directly:
3. ABOM Sample Test Questions
The Sample Test Questions give candidates the opportunity to learn more about question format, style, and level of difficulty. Candidates will receive online access to the Sample Test Questions upon application completion and payment. Candidates registered for the upcoming exam may follow these instructions to access the Sample Test Questions:
- Log in to your account at https://abom.learningbuilder.com/account/login/
- Navigate to My Application > Current Application.
- On your application, in the section titled Review Sample Test Questions, click the Begin Sample Test button.
- The ABOM Sample Questions: Load Sample Questions page displays.
- Click the Begin Sample Questions button.
- The ABOM Sample Test Questions page displays.
4. Obesity Medicine Guidelines
AACE guidelines: Timothy Garvey, MD, FACE; Jeffrey I. Mechanick, MD, FACP, FACE, FACN, ECNU; Elise M. Brett, MD, FACE, CNSC, ECNU; Alan J. Garber, MD, PhD, FACE; Daniel L. Hurley, MD, FACE; Ania M. Jastreboff, MD, PhD; Karl Nadolsky, DO; Rachel Pessah-Pollack, MD; Raymond Plodkowski, MD; and Reviewers of the AACE/ACE Obesity Clinical Practice Guidelines
Bays HE, McCarthy W, Christensen S, Tondt J, Karjoo S, Davisson L, Ng J, Golden A, Burridge K, Conroy R, Wells S, Umashanker D, Afreen S, DeJesus R, Salter D, Shah N, Richardson L. Obesity Algorithm eBook, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association. www.obesityalgorithm.org. 2020. https://obesitymedicine.org/obesity-algorithm/
Exercise – ACSM guidelines
Obesity Management – ACC/AHA/TOS guidelines:Michael D. Jensen, Donna H. Ryan, Caroline M. Apovian, Jamy D. Ard, Anthony G. Comuzzie, Karen A. Donato, Frank B. Hu, Van S. Hubbard, John M. Jakicic, Robert F. Kushner, Catherine M. Loria, Barbara E. Millen, Cathy A. Nonas, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, June Stevens, Victor J. Stevens, Thomas A. Wadden, Bruce M. Wolfe, Susan Z. Yanovski
Pediatric Obesity—Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline: Dennis M. Styne, Silva A. Arslanian, Ellen L. Connor, Ismaa Sadaf Farooqi, M. Hassan Murad, Janet H. Silverstein, Jack A. Yanovski. J Clin Endocrinol Metab (2017) 102 (3): 709-757.
Pediatric Obesity Algorithm®
Cuda S, Censani M, Joseph M, Browne N, O’Hara V. Pediatric Obesity Algorithm, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association. 2018-2020. www.pediatricobesityalgorithm.org.
Pharmacotherapy – Endocrine Society Pharmacologic Management of Obesity guidelines: Caroline M. Apovian Louis J. Aronne Daniel H. Bessesen Marie E. McDonnell M. Hassan Murad Uberto Pagotto Donna H. Ryan Christopher D. Still
Surgery – AACE/TOS/ASMBS Guidelines 2013: Jeffrey I. Mechanick, M.D., Adrienne Youdim, M.D., Daniel B. Jones, M.D., M.S.,W., Timothy Garvey, M.D., Daniel L. Hurley, M.D., M. Molly McMahon, M.D., Leslie J. Heinberg, Ph.D., Robert Kushner, M.D., Ted D. Adams, Ph.D., M.P.H., Scott Shikora, M.D., John B. Dixon, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., Stacy Brethauer, M.D.
5. Reference Handbooks and Textbooks
- Primary Care: Evaluation and Management of Obesity, 1st edition (2022) – edited by Robert Kushner, Daniel Bessesen, Adam Gilden
- Obesity Prevention and Treatment: A Practical Guide, 1st edition (2022) – edited by James Rippe and John Foreyt
- The ASMBS Textbook of Bariatric Surgery, 2nd edition (2020) – edited by Ninh T. Nguyen, Stacy A. Brethauer, John M. Morton, Jaime Ponce, Raul J. Rosenthal
- Handbook of Obesity Treatment, 2nd edition (2018) – edited by Thomas Wadden and George Bray
- The SAGES Manual of Bariatric Surgery, 2nd edition (2018) – edited by Kevin Reavis, Allison Barrett, Matthew Kroh
- Pediatric Obesity: Etiology, Pathogenesis, and Treatment, 2nd edition (2018) – edited by Michael Freemark
- Bariatric Surgery Complications: The Medical Practitioner’s Essential Guide, 1st edition (2017) – edited by Robin Blackstone
- Bariatric Surgery Complications and Emergencies, 1st edition (2016) – edited by Daniel Herron
- Handbook of Obesity, 4th edition (2014) – Volumes 1 and 2 – edited by George Bray and Claude Bouchard
- Pediatric Obesity: Prevention, Intervention and Treatment Strategies for Primary Care, 2nd edition (2014) – Edited by Sandra Hassink
- Managing Obesity: A Clinical Guide, 2nd edition (2009) – edited by Cathy Nonas and Gary Foster