suggestions for preparation
RESOURCES FOR EXAM PREPARATION
The following texts are recommended by ABOM as possible resources for exam preparation. The list below is not exclusive as other texts not listed may also prove useful for the purpose of preparing for the obesity medicine certification exam. By listing the texts below, ABOM does not imply that all texts should be consulted in preparation for the exam. In addition, familiarity with any or all of these texts does not guarantee successful completion of the exam.
1. ABOM Test Content Outline
The examination is composed of four 60-minute test blocks, each with 50 items, designed to assess the knowledge base and the cognitive and deductive skills of candidates. The Test Content Outline provides a listing of all the subject areas that may be covered on the exam. Click here to view the Test Content Outline.
2. Certification Exam Review Courses
To learn about upcoming review courses, visit the following websites:
- Obesity Medicine Association (http://fall.obesitymedicine.org/)
- The Obesity Society (http://www.obesity.org/education/abom-certification)
- The Harvard Medical School Department of Continuing Education (https://obesity.hmscme.com/board-review)
- Columbia University IHN (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/ihn/education/Obesitycourse_CME)
3. ABOM Sample Test Questions
The Sample Test Questions give candidates the opportunity to learn more about question format, style, and level of difficulty. Candidates will receive online access to the Sample Test Questions upon application completion and payment.
4. Obesity Medicine Guidelines
AACE guidelines: Timothy Garvey, MD, FACE; Jeffrey I. Mechanick, MD, FACP, FACE, FACN, ECNU; Elise M. Brett, MD, FACE, CNSC, ECNU; Alan J. Garber, MD, PhD, FACE; Daniel L. Hurley, MD, FACE; Ania M. Jastreboff, MD, PhD; Karl Nadolsky, DO; Rachel Pessah-Pollack, MD; Raymond Plodkowski, MD; and Reviewers of the AACE/ACE Obesity Clinical Practice Guidelines
Adult OMA Obesity guidelines: Bays HE, Seger JC, Primack C, McCarthy W, Long J, Schmidt SL, Daniel S, Wendt J, Horn DB, Westman EC: Obesity Algorithm, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association, 2016-2017
Exercise – ACSM guidelines
Obesity Management – ACC/AHA/TOS guidelines:Michael D. Jensen, Donna H. Ryan, Caroline M. Apovian, Jamy D. Ard, Anthony G. Comuzzie, Karen A. Donato, Frank B. Hu, Van S. Hubbard, John M. Jakicic, Robert F. Kushner, Catherine M. Loria, Barbara E. Millen, Cathy A. Nonas, F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer, June Stevens, Victor J. Stevens, Thomas A. Wadden, Bruce M. Wolfe, Susan Z. Yanovski
Pediatric Obesity—Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline: Dennis M. Styne, Silva A. Arslanian, Ellen L. Connor, Ismaa Sadaf Farooqi, M. Hassan Murad, Janet H. Silverstein, Jack A. Yanovski. J Clin Endocrinol Metab (2017) 102 (3): 709-757.
Pediatric OMA guidelines: Cuda SE, Censani M, Scinta W, Joseph M, Green R. Pediatric Obesity Algorithm,presented by the Obesity Medicine Association, 2016-2017.
Pharmacotherapy – Endocrine Society Pharmacologic Management of Obesity guidelines: Caroline M. Apovian Louis J. Aronne Daniel H. Bessesen Marie E. McDonnell M. Hassan Murad Uberto Pagotto Donna H. Ryan Christopher D. Still
Surgery – AACE/TOS/ASMBS Guidelines 2013: Jeffrey I. Mechanick, M.D., Adrienne Youdim, M.D., Daniel B. Jones, M.D., M.S.,W., Timothy Garvey, M.D., Daniel L. Hurley, M.D., M. Molly McMahon, M.D., Leslie J. Heinberg, Ph.D., Robert Kushner, M.D., Ted D. Adams, Ph.D., M.P.H., Scott Shikora, M.D., John B. Dixon, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., Stacy Brethauer, M.D.
5. Additional Reading and Reference Material
APPROACH TO THE PATIENT WITH OBESITY
- Bray, GA. 2003. Diagnosis and Management of Obesity and The Metabolic Syndrome, 3rd Edition. Handbooks in Health Care.
- Daniels SR, Hassink SG; COMMITTEE ON NUTRITION.The Role of the Pediatrician in Primary Prevention of Obesity. Pediatrics. 2015 Jul;136(1):e275-92. doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-1558. Epub 2015 Jun 29.
- Wadden, TA, Stunkard, AJ. 2004. Handbook of Obesity Treatment. New York, NY. Guilford Press.
- Arroyo K, Kini SU, Harvey JE, Herron DM. Surgical therapy for diabesity. Mt Sinai J Med. 2010;77(5):418-30.
- Buchwald H, Avidor Y, Braunwald E, et al. Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA. 2004;292(14):1724-37.
- Harvey EJ, Arroyo K, Korner J, Inabnet WB. Hormone changes affecting energy homeostasis after metabolic surgery. Mt Sinai J Med. 2010;77(5):446-65.
- Kim T. Nguyen and Judith Korner. The Sum of Many Parts: Potential Mechanisms for Improvement in Glucose Homeostasis After Bariatric Surgery. Curr Diab Rep. 2014 May; 14(5): 481.
- Schauer PR. et al. Bariatric Surgery versus Intensive Medical Therapy for Diabetes — 5-Year Outcomes. N Engl J Med 2017;376:641-51.
- Sogg S, Lauretti J, West-Smith L. Recommendations for the presurgical psychosocial evaluation of bariatric surgery patients. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2016;12:731-49.
- Stefater M. et al. All Bariatric Surgeries Are Not Created Equal: Insights From Mechanistic Comparisons. Endocrine Reviews, August 2012, 33(4) 595-622.
- Strohmayer E, Via MA, Yanagisawa R. Metabolic management following bariatric surgery. Mt Sinai J Med. 2010;77(5):431-45.
- Dietary Interventions, Physical Activity, and Behavioral Approaches to the Treatment of Obesity Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) Research Group. The diabetes prevention program (DPP): Description of lifestyle intervention. Diabetes care. 2002;25:2165–2171.
- The Look AHEAD Research Group. The look AHEAD study: A description of the lifestyle intervention and the evidence supporting it. Obesity. 2006;14:737–752.
- Prochaska JO, et al. Stages of change and decisional balance for 12 problem behaviors. Health Psychol 1994; 13(1):3946.
- Radesky J, Christakis D, Hill D, Ameenuddin N, Reid Chassiakos YL, Cross C, Hutchinson J, Levine A, Boyd R, Mendelson R, Moreno M, Swanson WS. Media and Young Minds. Pediatrics. 2016 Nov;138(5).
- Rollnick S, Butler CC, Kinnersley P, Gregory J, Mash B. Motivational Interviewing. BMJ 2010;340:12421245
BENEFITS OF WEIGHT LOSS
- Francesco Rubino, David M. Nathan, Robert H. Eckel, Philip R. Schauer, K. George M.M. Alberti et al. Metabolic Surgery in the Treatment Algorithm for Type 2 Diabetes: A Joint Statement by International Diabetes Organizations. Diabetes Care 2016 Jun; 39(6): 861-877
- Magkos F, Fraterrigo G, Yoshino J, et al. Effects of Moderate and Subsequent Progressive Weight Loss on Metabolic Function and Adipose Tissue Biology in Humans with Obesity. Cell Metab. 2016;S1550-4131(16)30053-5.
- Philip R. Schauer, M.D., Deepak L. Bhatt, M.D., M.P.H., John P. Kirwan, Ph.D., Kathy Wolski, M.P.H. Bariatric Surgery versus Intensive Medical Therapy for Diabetes — 5-Year Outcomes. N Engl J Med 2017; 376:641-651February 16, 2017
- Schmidt JB. et al. Effects of RYGB on energy expenditure, appetite and glycaemic control: a randomized controlled clinical trial. International Journal of Obesity (2016) 40, 281–290
- Wing RR, Lang W, Wadden TA, et al. Benefits of modest weight loss in improving cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese individuals with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011;34(7):1481-6.
- Surgical Clinics of North America Volume 96, Issue 4, Pages 655-900 (August 2016).
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Fryar CD, Flegal KM. Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults and Youth: United States, 2011-2014. NCHS Data Brief. 2015;(219):1-8.
- CDC Overweight and Obesity Facts: https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
- Christopher D. Gardner, PhD; Alexandre Kiazand, MD; Sofiya Alhassan, PhD; et al. Comparison of the Atkins, Zone, Ornish, and LEARN Diets for Change in Weight and Related Risk Factors Among Overweight Premenopausal Women. JAMA. 2007;297(9):969-977
- Iris Shai, R.D., Ph.D., Dan Schwarzfuchs, M.D., Yaakov Henkin, M.D., Danit R. Shahar, R.D., Ph.D., Shula Witkow, R.D, et al. Weight Loss with a Low-Carbohydrate, Mediterranean, or Low-Fat Diet. N Engl J Med 2008; 359:229-241July 17, 2008.
- Ramón Estruch, M.D., Ph.D., Emilio Ros, M.D., Ph.D., Jordi Salas-Salvadó, M.D., Ph.D., Maria-Isabel Covas, D.Pharm., Ph.D., Dolores Corella, D.Pharm., Ph.D., Fernando Arós, M.D., Ph.D., Enrique Gómez-Gracia, M.D et al. Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease with a Mediterranean Diet. N Engl J Med 2013; 368:1279-1290April 4, 2013.
- Kramer CK, Zinman B, Retnakaran R. Are metabolically healthy overweight and obesity benign conditions?: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Intern Med. 2013;159(11):758-69.
- Nguyen NT, Magno CP, Lane KT, Hinojosa MW, Lane JS. Association of hypertension, diabetes, dyslipidemia, and metabolic syndrome with obesity: findings from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1999 to 2004. J Am Coll Surg. 2008;207(6):928-34.
- Fothergill E, Guo J, Howard L, et al. Persistent metabolic adaptation 6 years after “The Biggest Loser” competition. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2016;24(8):1612-9.
- Sumithran P, Prendergast LA, Delbridge E, et al. Long-term persistence of hormonal adaptations to weight loss. N Engl J Med. 2011;365(17):1597-604.
PHARMACOLOGIC TREATMENT OF OBESITY
- Apovian CM, Aronne LJ, Bessesen DH, et al. Pharmacological management of obesity: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015;100(2):342-62.
- Igel LI, Kumar RB, Saunders KH, Aronne LJ. Practical Use of Pharmacotherapy for Obesity. Gastroenterology. 2017; S0016-5085(17)30142-7.
6. Reference Handbooks and Textbooks
- Apovian, C, Aronne L, Powell, A, Clinical Management of Obesity. Professional Communications, Inc.; 1st edition (June 1, 2015)
- Blackstone, RP. 2017. Bariatric Surgery Complications: The Medical Practitioner’s Essential Guide 1st ed. Springer.
- Bray, G. & Bouchard, C. Handbook of Obesity, Fourth Edition, Two Volume set: Handbook of Obesity-Volume 2: Clinical Applications, Fourth Edition, 2014. CRC Press
- Herron, DM. 2016. Bariatric Surgery Complications and Emergencies 1st ed. Springer.
- Kushner R, Lawrence V, Kumar S. Practical Manual of Clinical Obesity, 2013. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Mahan, K.L. & Escott-Stump, S.E., Krause’s Food and the Nutrition Care Process, 13th Edition, 2011. Saunders.
- Nguyen, NT, Blackstone, RP. 2015. ASMBS Textbook of Bariatric Surgery, Volumes 1 and 2. Springer.
- Shils, M.E., Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 11th Edition, 2012.Lippincott, Williams &Wilkins.
- Steelman, G.M. & Westman, E.C., Obesity: Evaluation and Treatment Essentials, Second Edition, 2016. CRC Press.
- Youdim, Adrienne et al. The Clinicians Guide to the Treatment of Obesity, 2015. Springer.