suggestions for preparation
1. Become Familiar with the
Test Content Outline
The examination is composed of four 60-minute test blocks, each with 50 items, designed to assess the knowledge base and the cognitive and deductive skills of candidates. The Test Content Outline provides a listing of all the subject areas that may be covered on the exam. Click here to view the Test Content Outline.
2. Review Textbooks
- Bray, G. & Bouchard, C. Handbook of Obesity, Fourth Edition, Two Volume set: Handbook of Obesity-Volume 2: Clinical Applications, Fourth Edition, 2014. CRC Press
- Kushner R, Lawrence V, Kumar S. Practical Manual of Clinical Obesity, 2013. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Mahan, K.L. & Escott-Stump, S.E., Krause’s Food and the Nutrition Care Process, 13th Edition, 2011. Saunders
- Shils, M.E., Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease, 11th Edition, 2012.Lippincott, Williams &Wilkins.
- Steelman, G.M. & Westman, E.C., Obesity: Evaluation and Treatment Essentials, Second Edition, 2016. CRC Press.
- Youdim, Adrienne et al. The Clinicians Guide to the Treatment of Obesity, 2015. Springer.
3. Attend a Review Course
To learn about upcoming review courses, visit the following websites:
- Obesity Medicine Association (http://fall.obesitymedicine.org/)
- The Obesity Society (http://www.obesity.org/education/abom-certification)
- The Harvard Medical School Department of Continuing Education (https://obesity.hmscme.com/board-review)
- Columbia University IHN (http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/ihn/education/Obesitycourse_CME)
4. Review the ABOM Sample Test Questions
The Sample Test Questions give candidates the opportunity to learn more about question format, style, and level of difficulty. Candidates will receive a free copy of the Sample Test Questions upon application completion.
5. Remain Up-to-date
Continue to keep abreast of the current evidence in the field.
- Obesity, http://www.obesity.org/publications/obesity-journal.html
- International Journal of Obesity, http://www.nature.com/ijo/index.html
- Pubmed: Create a free account with NCBI and ask for notifications on new obesity articles to be mailed free of charge.
Other Suggested Resources and Study Guides
- ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription, 9th Edition, 2013, American College of Sports Medicine.
- Barlow SE; Expert Committee. Expert Committee recommendations regarding the prevention, assessment and treatment of child and adolescent overweight and obesity: summary report. Pediatrics. 2007; 120 (suppl 4):S164 – S192.
- Childhood Obesity: Causes, Consequences and Management. Authors Muskaan Girnani, Catherine Birken, Jill Hamilton.
- Hassink S. Pediatric Obesity: Prevention, Intervention, and Treatment Strategies for Primary Care. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2007.
- Jensen MD, Ryan DH, Donato KA, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC/TOS guideline for the management of overweight and obesity in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and The Obesity Society. Obesity 2013. Published online before print November 12, 2013 http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/oby.20660
- Jones DB, Mechanick JI, Youdim A, for the writing group. Clinical practice guidelines for the peroperative nutritional, metabolic, and nonsurgical support of the bariatric surgery patient – 2013 update: Cosponsored by the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, The Obesity Society, and American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery. Obesity 21 (S1), 2013.
- Seger JC, Horn DB, Westman EC, Primack C, Long J, Clark T, McCarthy W, Bays HE. Obesity Algorithm, presented by the Obesity Medicine Association, 2015-2016. www.obesityalgorithm.org.
- Apovian, C. M., Aronne, L. J., Bessesen, D. H., Mcdonnell, M. E., Murad, M. H., Pagotto, U., . . . Still, C. D. (2015). Pharmacological management of obesity an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. Reproductive Endocrinology, 0(23), 59. doi:10.18370/2309-4117.2015.23.59-63.
- Guidelines (2013) for managing overweight and obesity in adults. (2014). Obesity, 22(S2), I-Xvi. doi:10.1002/oby.20818.